Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Avalon is back!

I was excited to learn that the Avalon tearoom reopened in White Bear Lake. I guess they reopened in Februray, which tells me their advertising could use some work. I am in the area at least twice a week and didn't know they were open nor did the prior owners take down the old Facebook page or indicate it was open again. Luckily I spotted a sandwich board on the street corner outside.

My mom and I went to check it out. The space is the same but less cluttered. 

They have the same tea purveyor but no longer sell the little sample bags although you can get as many ounces as you want in a regular bag.

We were the first customers and our table was ready upon arrival.

There were only two people working. A young man was running the show - he made the food and knew the operation. A young girl I'm fairly certain it was her first day working ever. She didn't know how to multitask - she took our tea order and then watched it steep. You can imagine as two more tables came in she struggled. Here's hoping in a couple weeks she gets the swing of things. 

On the bright side the tea was good - I tried an apricot decaf black tea and my mom had an orange tea.

The food was scrumptious!

Half the savories were vegetarian for me and half were not for my mom and we both enjoyed them thoroughly. The veg sandwiches were better than most tearooms offer - veggie hummus, warm caprese on focaccia, classic cucumber dill, egg salad and my favorite, pimento cheese. Seriously every tea sandwich I love plus two! 

They had a ton of scone flavors in the pastry case - I wish we could have selected our flavors, but nonetheless the cranberry and lemon blueberry were both great!

The scones were served with cream, curd and preserves of course.

And so many desserts! Almond thumbprints, lemon cookies, strawberry turnovers, lavender cookies, brownies.
We ended up taking dessert and a scone each home to enjoy later.

Mom and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment