Sunday, October 5, 2014

Mad for Tea in Ohio!

In honor of Mad Hatter Day join me as just outside of Cincinnati is a magical place...the BonBonerie! This way!

The BonBonerie is the most charming eclectic bakery/cafe/tea room. Let me tell you about it over a cup of BonBonerie blend - black tea with a note of vanilla. (Admittedly not my favorite tea blend, but does any tea hold a candle to earl gray cream?)

Up and down, winding turns, rooms that led to other rooms, upstairs, downstairs; I channeled my inner Alice falling down the rabbit hole. Art, clocks, and teapots lined the doorways and walls.

I sat in the cafe and ordered the tea lunch. 
~The Savory~

Soup: I savored a light broth-based butternut squash soup with walnuts & fresh parsley.

Sandwiches: Like a mouse I nibbled four delectable Crustless tea sandwiches. 
1. The BonBonerie makes a housemade veggie cream cheese it had a savory cheesy flavor with a nice bite from vegetable pieces. 
2. Boursin cucumber
3. Egg salad on multi-grain
4. Date nut bread - thick cold bread with a creamy filling. Not a favorite but this one was done right.

Quiche:
I loved this mushroom caramelized onion and Swiss quiche. It was unique - flat, not eggy, crispy crust. The texture & flavor were more reminiscent of a pizza than a quiche. 

~Sweets~
Three petite desserts were served.
I liked the raspberry crumble bar. However, the peanut butter chocolate bar was too thick & heavy and the shortbread thumbprint cookie was dry.

The tearoom was closed but I snuck down the little staircase for a peek and it is sooo wonderland adorable!




I couldn't leave without a visit to the bakery (not pictured) but the raspberry chocolate covered scones that Stacey & I enjoyed the next morning were to die for!

There is a reason every table was full at this lovely establishment! 

Next stop Columbus! After a two hour drive I met up with one of my best friends, Stacey, it was so great to spend time with her. We packed the weekend with fun - an elegant dinner at Lindy's in the German Village with Mary Beth, Fran & Kenny, kayaking at Trapper John's on the The Big Darby Creek, afternoon tea, the Columbus Park of Roses, shopping & dinner at Brio.

We enjoyed afternoon tea at Mozart's piano cafe.

It was nice that Mozart's had a pianist playing during tea - true to their name!

Originally seated inside it was such a beautiful day we moved outside to the patio.


Stacey had the peach black tea & I sipped my usual earl gray.

First up mini scones, apricot & plain, with raspberry preserves & a non-traditional Devonshire cream - it was really liquidy.

The canapés 
Stacey nibbled cranberry chicken salad, smoked ham & Swiss, tomato & provolone, cucumber & dill, smoked salmon, and portabello with cream cheese.

The vegetarian version. Egg salad, three cheese, pesto tomato, spinach, tomato & feta and my favorite was the smallest sandwich in the middle - bread, cheese, mushroom, tomato & olive. One interesting bite.

Loved the delicate cucumber & tomato roses on the sandwiches.

Hungarian goulash served with focaccia for Stacey.

Cream of mushroom soup for me.

Dessert!
A rich chocolate cake with Mozart's bust. Shortbread heart tea cookies & a marzipan peach with raspberry filling. (You are either a fan of marizpan or not - we were the latter - tastes like you are eating sugar.)

All in all a wonderfully mad weekend of fun and not one but two teas! 

Painting the roses red! 

Enjoy this lovely mad day with a cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment